site hit counter

[VNL]≡ Libro Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books

Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books



Download As PDF : Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books

Download PDF Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books


Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books

Delaney Collins has just lost her mom, and now she is headed to California to live with her absentee dad, Dr. Hank. He has a unique job as a famous life-coach author - but that's not all. He is also a fairy godmother. Yes, you read that correctly, and his job takes him where his client is - and where his daughter is not. But Delaney does not let that get her down. Staying with her dad is only temporary as she plots to find a way back to her "true" home in New Jersey. Will Delaney settle in her new life and find comfort as the daughter of a fairy godmother, or will she throw it all away with her bad girl ways?

McCullough delivers a solid novel with her debut, but this is a character-driven novel. For this reason I am going to address my favorite three characters first.

Delaney is a tough character to love at first because it is the one thing she seems to not want. This is a character full of pain - not just for the loss of her mom but for the loss of her way of life. Readers will experience her ups and downs, her moments of triumphs and moments of, well...not triumphs. But in the end, readers will root for her as she travels her road to self-discovery.

Dr. Hank brings a nice contrast to his daughter. His job as a life-coach writer adds another element of hilarity as he tries to help his daughter grieve the person she loved the most. Mix in the fact that he is a fairy godmother - not godfather - and the irony is just too much not to enjoy. He wants to be a good father to Delaney; he just does not know how to balance his client and his daughter. Being a godmother is the only thing he knows, but readers will be pleased with him as a character.

And then there is Flynn, an adorable, lovable yearbook geek who Delaney is convinced needs her help. He just wants to be allowed to be himself, but Delaney has other plans for him, plans that involved the most popular, the most beautiful cheerleader in the whole school. What Flynn wants is not what Delaney thinks, but readers will know - readers always know - and readers will be delighted with his character.

The plot of this novel is an intriguing one, and while it did not keep me turning the pages (the characters did) I did enjoy its concept. I love magical books, not metaphorically but literally, and I loved this book. I am wishing for a sequel, and I hope my fairy godmother is paying attention.

Read Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books

Tags : Amazon.com: Don't Expect Magic (9780385740128): Kathy McCullough: Books,Kathy McCullough,Don't Expect Magic,Delacorte Press,0385740123,Family - General (see also headings under Social Themes),Fantasy - General,Fairy godmothers;Fiction.,Fathers and daughters;Fiction.,High schools;Fiction.,California,Children's Books - Young Adult Fiction,Children: Young Adult (Gr. 7-9),Fairy godmothers,Family - Parents,Fantasy & Magic,Fathers and daughters,Fiction,Fiction-Fantasy,High schools,JUVENILE,Juvenile Fiction,Juvenile Fiction Family General,Juvenile Fiction Legends, Myths, Fables General,Juvenile Grades 7-9 Ages 12-14,Legends, Myths, & Fables - General,TEEN'S FICTION - COMING OF AGE,TEEN'S FICTION FANTASY,United States,YOUNG ADULT FICTION,YOUNG ADULT FICTION Family General (see also headings under Social Themes),YOUNG ADULT FICTION Fantasy General

Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books Reviews


Delaney Collins is ripped from her home and life after the tragic death of her mother. Forced to live with a father the nation knows better than she does, she isn’t happy. After a few unexpected turns, Delaney discovers she is a fairy godmother and her first assignment is Flynn Becker, who she mistakenly believes is crushing on the most popular girl in school. Determined to complete her first assignment in order to gain her full powers, she pushes Flynn into one situation after the next.

From reading the synopsis of this book, I thought it would be one I would enjoy. This was a good book, but it felt like it took too long to get started. From the synopsis we know that Delaney finds out she is a fairy godmother, but that doesn’t actually happen in the book until well into it (like almost halfway into it). I found myself getting kind of bored with this book, but I kept reading because I enjoyed Delaney’s sarcastic and funny voice.

The plot flowed in a pretty natural way, but some of the ending felt a bit rushed. I totally saw the events of the ending coming, but I just felt like it still was a bit forced or something. I did really like the development of Delaney and her father’s relationship. It progressed and grew in a really sweet way.

This book was an enjoyable fluffy read and I’m glad I picked it up, but it isn’t without its faults. I do intend to read the second one (since I bought it at the same time as the first) and I even started it, but I have since put it down in favor of other books. One day I might pick it up again, but who knows when that will actually be.
Expect a pleasant experience reading this YA novel even if you are not Y. I found the craft of the writer to be extraordinary for a first novel in every way. Beautiful use of language, story telling at it's best, with a Jane Austin twist at the end that left me very satisfied. I highly recommend this book.
I was great Thanks!
I like this book because of how different is it. Not your average book. The character is sarcastically clever. Some parts I chuckled because of what she would say.
The word that kept coming to mind as I read "Don't Expect Magic" was "delightful." I grinned through the entire book and was rooting for the wonderfully drawn heroine through the whole thing. Really a magical journey and I can't wait to read the sequel.
As I started this book the first thought that came to mind was "this seems like a Janette Rallison kind of book". It had the same quirky, magical humorous that I love. Luckily it was present throughout, which made for a highly enjoyable read.

I had mixed feelings about Delaney. She started out as this tough, stubborn tom-boy, but by the end her personality had done a 180 (for the better, but still), and I had to do a double take and make sure it was the same Delaney from the beginning. I'm kind of a goody two-shoes kind of person, but I was growing to like the stubborn, irritating Delaney. I guess becoming a fairy godmother changes a person.

I enjoyed seeing Delaney practice her fairy-godmother skills on her friends, especially the match-making parts. And seeing the science behind the magic was interesting.

And now I feel like this is a really pathetic review, but I read it a full 3 months ago, so I can't recall much more... Fun book!

Mild language and sexual content (Multiple instances of swearing, Crude humor, match-making (which is more hilarious than sexy), and one main character is revealed to be homosexual near the end, which isn't bad, but something to look out for)
I actually bought the second book (first) at a discount store as a Christmas gift. I wanted this available as the first one to be read. This was for my 12-year-old granddaughter. She did read this first on her and then read the book I bought as a hard copy. She enjoyed both very much and was hoping there would be a continuation. I will have to look into this for her.
Delaney Collins has just lost her mom, and now she is headed to California to live with her absentee dad, Dr. Hank. He has a unique job as a famous life-coach author - but that's not all. He is also a fairy godmother. Yes, you read that correctly, and his job takes him where his client is - and where his daughter is not. But Delaney does not let that get her down. Staying with her dad is only temporary as she plots to find a way back to her "true" home in New Jersey. Will Delaney settle in her new life and find comfort as the daughter of a fairy godmother, or will she throw it all away with her bad girl ways?

McCullough delivers a solid novel with her debut, but this is a character-driven novel. For this reason I am going to address my favorite three characters first.

Delaney is a tough character to love at first because it is the one thing she seems to not want. This is a character full of pain - not just for the loss of her mom but for the loss of her way of life. Readers will experience her ups and downs, her moments of triumphs and moments of, well...not triumphs. But in the end, readers will root for her as she travels her road to self-discovery.

Dr. Hank brings a nice contrast to his daughter. His job as a life-coach writer adds another element of hilarity as he tries to help his daughter grieve the person she loved the most. Mix in the fact that he is a fairy godmother - not godfather - and the irony is just too much not to enjoy. He wants to be a good father to Delaney; he just does not know how to balance his client and his daughter. Being a godmother is the only thing he knows, but readers will be pleased with him as a character.

And then there is Flynn, an adorable, lovable yearbook geek who Delaney is convinced needs her help. He just wants to be allowed to be himself, but Delaney has other plans for him, plans that involved the most popular, the most beautiful cheerleader in the whole school. What Flynn wants is not what Delaney thinks, but readers will know - readers always know - and readers will be delighted with his character.

The plot of this novel is an intriguing one, and while it did not keep me turning the pages (the characters did) I did enjoy its concept. I love magical books, not metaphorically but literally, and I loved this book. I am wishing for a sequel, and I hope my fairy godmother is paying attention.
Ebook PDF Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books

0 Response to "[VNL]≡ Libro Don't Expect Magic Kathy McCullough Books"

Post a Comment